Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Set of Bagpipes

From Dave Collins:
I have a copy of a very good personal account by a member of 4th Field Reg during WWII. If you wish I can give you the contact of a member of the family who may arrange for you to have a copy. My own copy has a number of my notes added to explain some parts of it – should the family provide you with a copy I would be very happy for you to also have my additional notes.
This account is largely the story of a set of bagpipes that accompanied the author from when he joined the unit at Hopuhopu until a few years before his death. At the end of his account he relates how these bagpipes were to be presented a few days later to the Waiouru Museum – and his family “knows” that is what happened.
When I added to his account [I have used it in my family history because the two families were close neighbours and friends in the 1920s and early 30s, and the author taught my uncle to play the bagpipes] I decided to get a photo of the bagpipes. I visited Waiouru Museum and after a great deal of searching they said they did not have the bagpipes and there was no record of them.
I have recently asked the Auckland war Memorial Museum – they also know nothing of them.
Here is the last paragraph of the account:
The above was written in September, 1988. I was able to play the pipes a little till 1992, when I piped in the New Year at the age of 80. With my family’s consent, I offered the suggestion to the 4th Field Regiment Association, that the pipes be presented to the Waiouru Army Museum. This will be done on 27th April, 1994, together with the F Troop drum, and other mementos of the Association.
End.

J.R. Matheson,
One-time No 1921, Bombardier
F Troop
4th Field Regiment, N.Z.A.

Written 12 April 1994
Died July 2003.

So! Do you know anything more about this mystery? 
All I would really like is a photo or two of the bagpipes!
Regards and best wishes,
Dave Collins
Papakura
+64 (0)9 2986614

No comments:

Post a Comment