Monday, July 27, 2009

Mechanised transport pre-WW1?

More on the Thorneycroft-mounted AA gun:
[The Army Museum has] no history of mechanised transport pre-WW1. Apparently the first trucks used by our forces were when based in Egypt. Up to that point it was all horse transport. I have however a photo of local troops using a solid rubber-tyred truck in the Wairarapa, moving troops but this could well be a local exercise as I've been told it was a locally owned truck.
I have a photo of the Duxford museum Thornycroft with the mounted gun. I have been in contact with the museum and have asked of the chassis design of this truck and its history. I'm also a member of the Thornycroft Register (UK) which has been a great help in piecing this together. About 7 years research to date.
My son also has a truck with military history, a Leyland of 1916 and again the search is on for parts to get it operational for 2014 [centenary] events.
Doug Wheeler

No comments:

Post a Comment