Friday, August 28, 2009

"William Bogle late of the Armed Constabulary and now of Napier"

I am emailing you from London and my enquiry concerns my antecedent mentioned above who was resident in New Zealand in the latter part of the 19th century. In fact he was Stationmaster at Napier for some years.
My enquiry is prompted by a discussion with HE Derek Leask, the current NZ High Commissioner in London. Mr Leask tells me he has a map of one of the military installations in the Auckland/Waikato area during the Maori wars and its preparation is ascribed to "William Bogle late of the Armed Constabulary and now of Napier".
I think it is very likely that this is one and the same person as my great-uncle but I cannot find any reference in the family history to his having been a member of the Armed Constabulary, nor can I find on the Internet a list of members of the AC.
Does your organization have such a list - or, if not, are you able to point me in the right direction to locate the records? Mr Leask is just as interested as I am in establishing the identity of the map-maker.
Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated.
With kind regards, Neil Bogle
Email:
Neil.Bogle@pinsentmasons.com

No comments:

Post a Comment